Frequently Asked Questions - Test Center
Testing center and COMPASS placement testing
- If you’re a new student with no previous college experience.
- If your COMPASS scores are more than two years old and you have not completed an English or Math course in the UH system.
- If your COMPASS scores are less than two years old.
- If you have completed an English, ESL, or Math course with a grade of “C” or higher in the UH system (math courses would have to have been completed within the two year time limit).
- An identification card with your name, photo, and UH (Banner) Number. You will not be allowed to take the test without proper identification. (We prefer a current photo Campus ID if you have one). You should receive your UH (Banner) Number upon acceptance to a University of Hawaii system institution.
IMPORTANT! We have phased out the use of Social Security Numbers on the Compass Placement Test systemwide. In accordance with UH Executive Policy E2.214, "Social Security Number(s), and its use as an identifier shall be phased out of all existing systems." As a result, we will be using the attached "Request for UH Number" form to comply with State law and UH policy. Students who have not applied to Leeward CC but would like to take the Compass Placement Test will need to submit the completed form to the Admissions & Records office to obtain a UH number before testing.
COMPASS tests you on skills and knowledge acquired over a long period of time. You are not expected to study material that you have never learned. However, reviewing can help especially if you have not taken tests for a few years or have not studied math in a while.
- READING – answering questions about passages.
- WRITING – identifying errors in grammar, punctuation, usage, and style in brief articles.
MATH – solving problems in basic math, algebra, college algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus.
To view sample test items, go to the placement test website at www.act.org/compass/index.html.
There will be a retest fee of $25 each time you elect to retake the test. Please note the following:
- A $25.00 fee will be charged for each time a student elects to retake the COMPASS test.
- All Compass Placement retests will cost $25.00 per sitting.
LCC students exempt from the $25 retest fee if:
- You have not taken a Math course in 2 years
- Your Compass Placement scores are more than 2 years old